Monday, April 16, 2007

This starts with todays picture of the day, three drawers with painting in them.

Click on picture for larger image

Lady Hespeler's grandmother was an artist, who played around in various styles at different times. There is quite a bit of her work floating around the family.

Recently one of the aunts began a project to document what everyone had, and I began taking, and sending pictures of the six or so works we have. There was some problems with the mail delivery (probably a combination of large files, a dial up connection and the PEI weather last week) and we began e-mailing over these issues. In one of those e-mails the aunt mentioned a sewing chest:

An that reminds me, Dad used Mother's oil paintings for drawer
bottoms in a sewing chest, missed those.
Oil painting in the bottom of a sewing chest? A couple of years ago when the grandmothers possessions where moving around the family, a chest stopped at us. It looked like a chest that musicians use called a manuscript chest or manuscript cabinet. Lady Hespeler wanted to throw it out, I said I'd take it. I could find it useful in my office/music room and it was too nice to throw out.

Could this be the sewing chest? I opened the top drawer, pulled off the brown paper that had covered the bottom of the drawer all this while, and Voila! A painting.

Thus a treasure found in our midst, although it's value probably very little. None the less, my saved cabinet has now been I'D'd as a 50 year old sewing chest, hand-made by my wifes grandfather, with three paintings done by his wife in the drawers.

Now I have to decide whether to remove the pictures, thus modifying an antique chest, or leave them and risk them getting ruined.


Boy! Some problems sure are more fun to have than others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY