Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rain Song


title: Rain Song

author: Alice J. Wisler

genre: fiction/christian romance

published: 2008

pages: 195

first line: When they suggest changing the location of the family reunion, I am first to speak.



rated: 3 1/2 out of 5




Nicole Michelin is a middle school English teacher in her thirties. She was born in Japan to missionary parents, but her mother died when she was a young child and her father, who suffers from depression, never talks about it. He raised her in North Carolina where Nicole currently lives. She is very close to her grandma Ducee and her best friend Grable.








Nicole runs a website where she gives out help and info about caring for fish. A man named Harrison Michaels from Japan emails her one day and the two begin corresponding through email on a daily basis. As the story goes on, Nicole finds herself falling for Harrison and asks him for a photo, which he happily sends to her. But shortly after, Nicole doesn't get an email from Harrison for a few days. She wonders what is wrong. Then one day, Harrison emails her a single line:
'Nicole, my mother remembers the night you were born.'

Nicole herself knows little about her mother, yet always wonders and misses her dearly.



Stunned, Nicole realizes Harrison's mother must have known her own mother. She decides she needs to overcome her fear of flying and go to Japan to search out answers.





I thought Rain Song was a touching read. I found myself wanting Nicole to overcome her fears, hop on the plane to Japan, find out about her mother and find Harrison.



Here are a few of my favorite passages:



Putting on my short, brown suede coat, I head outside to sit on the brick step by my front door. Sitting outside calms me. Some folks do yoga or listen to music; I watch the stars. Tonight they are out-shiny, glittering, beckoning and so far way.

As a child, I used to watch the stars and try to determine which one was heaven's doorknob.






I still am not sure I can actually go through with this, but the truth is, i've gone too far now to go back. It's as if I was once happily swimming in one stream but a warm current suddenly caused me to turn and change my direction. I was a fighting fish at first, not wanting to be transported to anything different and unusual. Now I'm enjoying this new current, even though I know that down the stream, I may be faced with some dissapointing waters. I know because this is life, life with its fleeting moments of happiness.









Shame on me, I received this book as an ARC from library thing over a year ago, and I just now got around to reading it.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY