Thursday, September 20, 2007

Brother Odd




Brother Odd by Dean Koontz


This is my second book for the R.I.P. challenge.









rated: 3 out of 5








This is the 3rd book in the Odd Thomas series and I am sad to say I liked this one the least. I'm a big fan of Odd, and the first 2 books were so good. Odd Thomas was excellent, and Forever Odd was just as great. This one didn't hold my attention much though. It started off slow and didn't really take off at all.


It does leave room for another book though, so that's promising.
D.K. did include a few comedic lines as he does with these books, and I did laugh out loud at times. I love Odd's sense of humor.







In this one, Odd goes to live in a monastery in the Sierra Nevada mountains, where one of the monks goes missing. He starts seeing 'bodachs' and tries to figure out what is going on. Bodachs are kind of like ghosts that come 'round when death and pain are coming, only Odd can see them.

One thing I didn't like was that the sick little girl in the room says 'loop me in' to Odd, and he feels it is Stormy, his girlfriend who was killed in book 1, using this little girl to talk to him from the other side. But then nothing else really happens with that story line....

And what happened to Danny? Odd's best friend in book 2? He's not even mentioned once. You even wonder what is Odd doing in a monastery? I also didn't really care much for the other characters. The story really didn't have much excitement and when I first started reading, I was sure I'd be done in a day or two. Instead, it took me 2 weeks, because I didn't really feel like picking the book up again. Sad to say, I found it boring at parts.
It was almost like this book had nothing to do with the previous 2 books.




"Because I live with the dead, my tolerance for the macabre is so high that I am seldom spooked. The part-shriek-part-squeal-part-buzz, however, was so otherworldly that my imagination failed to conjure a creature that might have made it, and the marrow in my bones seemed to shrink in the way that mercury, in winter, contracts to the bottom of a thermometer.

I took one step toward where the school out to be, but then halted, retracted that step. I turned uphill but dared not retreat to the abbey. Something unseen in the camouflaging storm, something with an alien voice full off need and fury, seemed to await me no matter in which direction I proceeded."







see my other reviews for this challenge:



Frankenstein Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz





0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY