Tuesday, September 25, 2007



The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger



This is my first book for the Book to Movie Challenge

rated: 4 out of 5





This book was a fun, light read. I started reading it around 10:00PM at night, I figured I'd get in a few pages of reading before bed... 4 chapters later, I didn't even want to put it down. It reminds me of one of my fav tv shows, 'Ugly Betty'.




Andrea Sachs, recent college grad, goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the editor of Runway magazine. Andrea wants to get enough experience in the workplace and eventually get a job at 'The New Yorker'. Miranda is one of the most powerful people in fashion, and has a notorious rep for being a 'b*tch'.
But Andrea...a.k.a... Andy, figures if she can work as Miranda's junior assistant for just 1 year, she will be on her way to bigger and better things. Poor Andy's life is turned upside down because Miranda is super demanding and her new job is taking over her life.
She neglects her boyfriend Alex, her own family and even her best friend Lily, who develops a drinking problem, by the way.
Andy has to figure out if her job and career are worth all the drama and stress
she is going through.




I heard this book is based on a true story and I find it very hard to believe anyone can be as impossible as Miranda Priestly's character. She gives her assistants cell phones so she is able to contact them any time day or night, which she repeatedly does, even on weekends. She makes ridiculous demands constantly and treats her employees like garbage. No one in her presence can speak unless spoken to and she expects her assistants to meet her every demand within seconds. At parts of the book, you do laugh out loud at the crazy demands she gives and at how her employees go nuts trying to make her happy.






'It took me twelve weeks before I gorged myself on the seemingly limitless supply of
designer clothes that 'Runway' was just begging to provide for me. Twelves impossibly long weeks of fourteen hour work days and never more than five hours of sleep at a time. Twelve miserable long weeks of being looked up and down from hair to shoes each and every day, and never receiving a single compliment or even merely the impression that I had passed. Twelve horrifically long weeks of feeling stupid, incompetent and all around moronic. And so I decided at the beginning of my fourth month at 'Runway' to be a new woman and start dressing the part.'









This book was great 'chic-lit'.




I highly recommend 'The Devil Wears Prada'


Now I need to rent the movie version.




'Perhaps he should take over my job, I thought, because I was going to quit. Yes, that was it. I was going to march back to that office and quit. Who needed her shit? What gave her the right to talk to me, to anyone, like that? The position? The prestige? The goddamn Prada? Where, in a just universe, was this acceptable behavior?'












0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY