Sunday, September 9, 2007

I'm not a huge Bon Jovi fan. I do have Slippery When Wet, and like half of it. Livin' on a Prayer is the very best of the 80's hair-metal, in my opinion, and Wanted Dead or Alive was always a favourite. And to be fair, Jon Bon Jovi seems pretty cool and down to earth, and Ritchie Sambora was married to Heather Locklear, so he doesn't need to do much with the guitar to impress me. None the less, he impresses me as a guitar player.

All that said, I heard some good things about Lost Highway, and decided to give it a listen with very little in the way of expectations. The thing about having no expectations, is sometimes you are simply blown away: I was blown away.

Now mind you, this is not one of the great albums of all time, nor is it a uniquely remarkable achievement in the history of rock and roll. It is, however, a very good album, and possibly my favourite of the year (the Foo's and Robert Plant still have works coming down the pipe, so I'll not offer a definitive).

Much has been made of the albums country influence, but other than a few pieces, particularly the duet with Leann Rimes, We Ain't Strangers Anymore, and the fun, I Love This Town there's not a lot of country: calling this album country is a bit like calling Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door country based on Hot Dog. Bon Jovi treat country like a mannerism to have some fun with, not a serious music style to copy. There's nothing wrong with that: with songs like Summertime (no, not that one) and the title track, they treat rock and roll the same way, and that's what makes this album so good. It's OK music, but Bon Jovi just doesn't take themselves, or the music seriously throughout the album. Result? A fun, rockin good CD, the way rock and roll was meant to be.

Honourable mention goes out to Seat Next To You, a gorgeously romantic song that has earned it's way onto my back yard dance disc.

Long slow drive down an old dirt road
You've got your hand out the window, listening to the radio
That's where I wanna be...

On an old park bench in the middle of December
Cold hard rain fallin', can't find no cover
That would be alright with me...

Hard days, good times, blue skies, dark nights
Baby, I want you to take me ... wherever you're going to
Maybe say that you'll save me ... a seat next to you

In the corner booth of a downtown bar, with your head on my shoulder
Smokin' on a cheap cigar...that would be alright with me
In the back row of a movie or a cross-town train
I wanna hear your voice whispering my name...that's where I wanna be

Hard days, good times, blue skies, dark nights

Baby, say that you'll take me ... wherever you're going to
Maybe say that you'll save me ... a seat next to you

Life is like a ferris wheel, spinnin' around
When you get to the top it's hard to look down
Just hang on ... we'll make it through
Save me ... a seat next to you

When you get to the gates and the angels sing
Go to that place where the church bells ring
You know I'll come runnin' ... runnin' to find you

Baby, say that you'll take me ... wherever you're going to
Maybe I want you to save me ... a seat next to you
A seat next to you

Hmmm, lets see, a couple of fun country songs, a couple of good old rock and rollers (not too serious) and a song that can fight it's way onto my patio when Lady Hespeler is feeling romantic. All the makings of a really good album, and Bon Jovi's Lost Highway is exactly that, a really good album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY