Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nights in Rodanthe




title: Nights in Rodanthe



author: Nicholas Sparks


genre: contemporary romance


pages: 212


published: 2002


first line: Three years earlier, on a warm November morning in 1999, Adrienne Willis had returned to the Inn and at first glance had thought it unchanged, as if the small Inn were impervious to sun and sand and salted mist.



rated: 4 out of 5 stars





Nights in Rodanthe is my second time reading Nicholas Sparks. After reading Dear John, I knew I wanted to read more of his books.




Nights in Rodanthe starts off with a sixty year old Adrienne Willis, who is a divorced mother and grandmother, helping her daughter cope with the death of her own husband.
Adrienne starts to reminisce about her short time spent at a small Inn along the beach in the town of Rodanthe. She pulls out an old letter from a man named Paul. She decides to tell her daughter about a love affair that took place 14 years ago.




Paul Flanner is a divorced surgeon who is staying at an Inn in the small town of Rodanthe while conducting some personal business.
Adrienne agrees to watch the Inn for the owner, who is also her close friend.


Once there, Paul and Adrienne end up alone with a hurricane-like storm on the way. The two lonely divorcees find themselves sharing stories about their ex-spouses, children and their lives, and they find comfort in each other.
Paul's wife left him because he was obsessed with this work. After being an absentee father to his only son, who is also a doctor and works in Ecuador, Paul decides to sell his practice and go to South America to spend a year with him. Once his visit in Rodanthe is over, he will be on his way to Ecuador.
Adrienne's husband left her for a younger work colleague and she is now left a single middle-aged mother with an ailing father to take care of.


Paul and Adrienne fall in love during thier few days together and when it is time to part, they are heartbroken. Paul suggests he stay with Adrienne for a while and postpone his trip, but she insists he goes to be with his son. So as the two part, they promise to wait for each other for a year until Paul returns. Paul calls Adrienne, writes her beautiful letters and sends her flowers monthly while he is away.




I enjoyed this story very much and I'm glad I picked it up. I liked both Paul and Adrienne and felt like the connection between them was realistic and sweet. I also liked the setting of the story, an Inn on the beach, during a storm, the author set the mood just right. If you're looking for a quick and bittersweet romantic read, look no further. But, you might need to have a box of tissues handy, I did get a bit teary eyed during one part.



As usual, Nicholas Sparks has a way with words, his book have some very romantic passages.


Here's a favorite tidbit from one of Paul's letters to Adrienne:


I've been thinking about you constantly since I left, wondering why the journey I'm on seemed to have led through you. I know my journey's not over yet, and that life is a winding path, but I can only hope it somehow circles back to the place I belong.


That's how I think of it now. I belong with you.








p.s. as you read this, I'm probably at the bookstore buying another Nicholas Sparks book :) lol. I'm good and hooked!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY