Monday, November 23, 2009

The Wildest Heart


title: The Wildest Heart

author: Rosemary Rogers

genre: historical romance

pages: 739

published: 1974, republished sept. 2009

first line: Wild blood!

rated: 4 out of 5







Miss Rowena Dangerfield is raised in India by her grandfather. Her father Guy, brought her to India when she was just a baby. Rowena's mother, Fanny, divorces Guy and leaves to London. When she is 18, Rowena is sent to live in London with her mother, whom she is not close to and her stepfather. Once in London, Rowena's stepfather, Sir Edgar, takes advantage of Rowena and she winds up being his mistress.
Rowena winds up going to the New Mexico to claim the inheritance her father left for her. While there, she reads her fathers journal and realizes many things about the past and family rivalries. Among the many interesting characters in New Mexico is a man named Todd Shannon who is much older than her, but insists on marrying her. Todd's nephew Mark, falls in love with Rowena, but she doesn't share the same feelings for him. Rowena also meets a man named Lucas Cord, an outlaw with a sordid past.



This was a really good read. It's the kind of book you can really sink your teeth into. There's alot of plot twists and interesting characters. The story has plenty of drama, adventure and romance in it as well. I always enjoy a story that just keeps on going from page one. I like Rowena's character, she's smart and sassy. I like that she dresses herself 'down' when she first makes aqquaintances in order to get people to be thier true selves around her, instead of dressing flashy and getting the wrong kind of attention.




I can imagine this book being made into a mini-series.


The dialogue was great, several scenes reminded of the interaction between Rhett and Scarlett in Gone With the Wind. Here are a few of my favorites:


"It might benefit you to exercise some self-control occasionally," I said sharply, for her eyes had filled with tears of rage and frustration. "And to try to understand that other people, too, might have thier share of unhappiness and bitter memories locked inside them, even though they may not wear thier emotions on their sleeve!"



"You're the most conceited, arrogant man I've yet had the misfortune to encounter! If you think that I...."

"At least I don't play games, little girl. Ain't the type to go pussyfootin' around, wastin' time on long courtships. When I find what I want, I go out and get it."



He took me in his arms, ruthlessly holding me still in spite of my furious protests. "When are you gonna face up to facts, little gal? I want you. Have done even before I saw you all dolled up. You turned Mark down, didn't you? An' you've been needlin' me all evening. Better learn to pay up when your bluffs been called."


He bent his head to mine and I saw his thin, cruel lips curve in a smile of triumph. "We're two of a kind, and you know it," he said, before his lips claimed mine.










Special thanks to Danielle over at Sourcebooks for sending me this book to read and review.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY