Wednesday, May 6, 2009



Please give a warm welcome to Laurie Brown, author of What Would Jane Austen Do?


about the book:

Surely Jane Austen would know how to handle such a rake...


From the author of Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake, a new time travel romance featuring a modern day career woman swept back in time to Regency England, where she thwarts a Napoleonic spy, chats with Jane Austen, and falls in love with a notorious rake.


Eleanor is a costume designer in England for the Jane Austen festival, where her room at the inn is haunted. In the middle of the night she encounters two ghost sisters whose brother was killed in a duel over 200 years ago. They persuade her to travel back in time with them to prevent the duel. Eleanor is swept into a country house party, presided over by the charming Lord Shermont, where she encounters and befriends Jane Austen. But there's much more to Lord Shermont than the ghosts knew, and as Eleanor dances and flirts with him, she begins to lose her heart.




Guest Post:

I’ve written thousands of pages, but always as one of my characters, not as myself. I was wondering (worrying) about what to write when I got an email from a friend. She’d gone to her bookstore specifically to find my new book What Would Jane Austen Do? and found the experience a bit strange. She doesn’t usually go into a bookstore on a mission (as she described it) but likes to wander the aisles.



If a cover strikes her fancy, she’ll read the back blurb. If the story appeals to her she’ll read the first few paragraphs. If the book doesn’t pass the test, it goes back on the shelf. If still seems like one she would enjoy reading then she puts it in her basket. Rather than finding the book she’s looking for, she calls this letting the book find her.



That process seems strange to me. If I read a title that intrigues me, or if a promo blurb sounds interesting, or an author I know or like has a new book out, I’ll put it on my list of books to research. Since I work in a library the list is usually quite long. Make that very long.



I’ll look up the books on the internet, read reviews, and then make two lists. One for books I want to check out from the library either because they’re too expensive for my budget or because I’m fairly sure it won’t be a keeper even though I want to read it. The other is my shopping list.



Why do I buy books when I’m at the library five days a week? Good question. One my DH has asked numerous times.



Some books that I buy were written by friends. Some are by authors that I’ve followed for years, old friends even though I may have never met them in person. Others are parts in a series. I must admit that if I read the first book in a series and really like it, I buy all the rest of the series as they come out, but don’t read them. I save them until the series is complete and then read them all including the first one marathon style. I hate waiting for the next book in order to find out what happened to a character, or to have the main mystery solved. I’ve written connected books, ones where a sub-character in one book is the main character in next. But I try to make each story stand on it’s own. Sometimes I’ll buy a book that I’ve checked out from the library because it’s a keeper that I want to have available to read again and again.



There’s something about buying a new book. It’s like a treasure waiting to be discovered. A treasure that you and only will have the pleasure of enjoying. Again and again, if you want to.



I’m all for libraries and I do a lot of research there. Librarians are the most helpful people in the world. Books from the library ‘feel’ like a community of readers. You share the experience of a specific book with other humans, ones you’ll never know, but now you have this book in common.



Okay, I confess I also go to the bookstore to see my new book. There’s no thrill quite like going into your favorite bookstore and seeing a book you wrote on the shelf. Waiting to be discovered by a reader. And that thrill repeats with each new book and never seems to get old. At least it hasn’t for me.



In my latest release What Would Jane Austen Do? I had so much fun sending a modern heroine back in time to 1814 to meet the real Jane Austen. Eleanor also attends a ball, prevents a duel, helps solve a mystery for two ghosts, and meets the sexy Regency rake, Lord Shermont.



And last week when I went to the bookstore, there it was. On the shelf. My beautiful book. Chills I tell you.



What sort of book shopper are you? A planner on a mission to find a particular book? Or a wanderer waiting for the book to find you?


Happy reading,

Laurie Brown




--------------------------

Thanks for stopping by Laurie! Your new book sounds wonderful. Love that cover! And i'm a huge Austen fan, so anything Austen related usually strikes my fancy.

'There’s something about buying a new book. It’s like a treasure waiting to be discovered.'-this is so true.

I think I'm a bit of both. I'm a planner and wanderer when it comes to book shopping. If one of my favorite authors has a new book out, I won't hesitate to buy a copy. And while I'm at the bookstore, I love to wander around, grabbing whatever books strike my fancy until I find a few keepers.








Special thanks to Danielle L. Jackson at http://www.sourcebooks.com/ for making this possible.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY