Thursday, August 19, 2010





Hi everyone, it's Thursday and that means the weekend is almost here :)

This week's Booking Through Thursday is a fun list of bookish questions.



1. Favorite childhood book?

Green Eggs and Ham was always a favorite when I was little.




2. What are you reading right now?

Alice in Wonderland, Skellig and The Girl Made of Cool





3. What books do you have on request at the library?

none



4. Bad book habit?

Dog-earing pages, breaking spines and just not being able to ban myself from buying books.




5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

Skelling, Alice in Wonderland




6. Do you have an e-reader?

no





7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I prefer to read just one, but I tend to read two or three at a time. However, if a book is really involved, I tend to read just that one, or else I'll get plots and characters confused. Or sometimes I find a book that I just cannot put down, so I stop reading everything else until I'm done.






8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

Yes! I read much more now and have more diverse reading tastes due to being exposed to so many more books and reviews now.




9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)

The One That I Want I just couldn't relate to the central character.





10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?

The Recipe Club, The Road and The Queen's Pawn



11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

Every once in a while.



12. What is your reading comfort zone?

Historical Fiction, Romance





13. Can you read on the bus?

I can't read while riding on anything that is moving...bus, train or cars.




14. Favorite place to read?

Early Saturday morning on my bed with my cup of tea on my nightstand, the house nice and quiet.




15. What is your policy on book lending?

When I read a book that I love, I naturally tend to offer it to others. But sadly, I'm trying to break that habit, because 9 times out of 10 I never see the book again or get it back damaged.





16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

See my answer to question #4




17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

No, I don't write in them. But once I borrowed a Koontz book from the library and every few pages or so there was writing and nasty notes. Mostly criticizing the plot and notes comparing different events in the story. :( It was so annoying. It was like they were trying to find mistakes and loopholes in the storyline. I wondered why would someone bother to do that? Luckily it was all written in pencil, so I erased as I read...lol.




18. Not even with text books?

I have written in textbooks that I owned, in pencil, if there were passages I needed to remember and refer back to.






19. What is your favorite language to read in?

English, I can read in Spanish, but unless it's poetry, I prefer not to.




20. What makes you love a book?

Drama, romance, twists and turns and great characters do it for me. I like a story I can talk about and recommend to others.




21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

Great characters and storyline. If a book keeps me reading into the wee hours of the morning, I'm recommending it.





22. Favorite genre?

Historical Fiction with some romance in it, Horror.





23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)

I really like YA, but don't read it as much as I want to. I also neglect Science Fiction and Biographies.





24. Favorite biography?

I haven't read any, and need to remedy that.




25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Yes, and it was life changing. A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle.




26. Favorite cookbook?

Cookie and Biscuit Bible has some fantastic recipes in it.




27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Shack



28. Favorite reading snack?

Haha, for some bizarre reason I won't snack or eat while reading. Isn't that odd?
If I'm reading and try to snack, I find myself inadvertently putting my book down while I eat.





29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

None really. But I did read Dead Until Dark because of all the hype and it was a letdown for me.





30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

Sometimes I agree, sometimes not.





31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

If I don't enjoy a book, I'll say it as kindly as I can. I don't bash books.
What I didn't enjoy about a book, someone else might love.







32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
French, it sounds so romantic.






33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?

Good question. I'd have to say The Odyssey.



34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?

I need to read Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, but it does intimidate. I don't want to feel like a dumb ass not understanding what I'm reading...lol.




35. Favorite Poet?

So many. Mostly Emily Dickinson and Pablo Neruda.





36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?


Around 12.





37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?

Too many times! I usually take out too many at a time to possibly be able to read them all.





38. Favorite fictional character?

So many, it's hard to pick just one. I'd have to say I love Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice.





39. Favorite fictional villain?

Heathcliff from Brontes Wuthering Heights always stood out as the villain I loved to hate. How could he love Cathy so much, yet be so cold and ruthless?







40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?

I like to bring along a good mystery or something scary, but usually don't get the time to read it. I tend to bring along either King or Koontz when I'm on vaca.





41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.

Hmmm...since I've been an adult and actively reading...1 day maybe 2.






42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

There's been a few. Sadly enough the last one I couldn't finish was Incactation by Alice Hoffman. She is one of my favorite authors so that was a big letdown.





43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?

The outdoors, housework, my children or a favorite tv program.





44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

Gone With the Wind. Pride & Prejudice also, both the BBC version and the Kiera Knightly one.



45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Geesh. Twilight. But only because I had this perfect vision of Edward in my head, no actor could fulfill it. Plus bad acting ;) I think Edward in the Twilight films looks really constipated...lol. But none of that stops me from watching all the Twilight movies, so go figure.






46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?

I tend to spend about $40 a pop. I can never pick just one book....plus there's chocolate at the check out line so you know....





47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

Never! I don't skim and I don't read the back blurb.





48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

Poor writing, weak characters, no plot development. Also any kind of disturbing or graphic subject matter. I DNF Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub due to graphic details about child murders. It was really gruesome :(








49. Do you like to keep your books organized?

Yes. I keep them on my shelves by author and genre. I also keep TBR's seperate so I don't get them mixed up and forget to read them.




50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?

I like to keep them.





51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?

I've got Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo sitting on my shelves for many, many years. The pages are yellow. I don't know why I avoid it, I loved the film.








52. Name a book that made you angry.

Funny enough a few reads have made me angry and they were by a favorite author, Stephen King. I read The Cell, which annoyed me a bit because there's a big climax, then no ending. He also wrote a short story called The Library Policeman, which had me throwing the book across the room when I came up to a scene where a young boy was being raped...in awful detail.








53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

I didn't think I'd like The Road by Cormac McCarthy as much as I did, but now it's a favorite.





54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?

I really wanted to love the True Blood series by Harris, but after reading Dead Until Dark, I was dissapointed in vampire Bill. I found him to be so dry. I haven't given this series another try.





55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

Anything by Nicholas Sparks. I love how sweet and romantic his stories are.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY