Monday, November 15, 2010



title: Moonstruck

genre: romantic comedy

release date: December 18, 1987

cast: Cher, Nicolas Cage, Olympia Dukakis, Danny Aiello

rated: 5 out of 5 stars







Taking place in Brooklyn Heights, Moonstruck is a movie about love and how it can make a huge mess of things, but in the end it's always worth it.





Loretta Castorini (Cher) is a 37 year old widowed bookkeeper living in Brooklyn.
She's dating Johnny Cammareri (Danny Aiello) and accepts his marriage proposal, not because she loves him but more out of his being a stable, good man that she can settle down and raise a family with. However when Johnny is called to his mothers deathbed in Italy, his mother makes him swear that he will never get married. While Johnny is in Italy tending to his sick mother, Loretta is busy making wedding plans. She goes to invite Johnny's estranged brother Ronny (Nicholas Cage) to the wedding. When Loretta finds Ronny, who works in a bakery, he's still bitter over the past. Ronny lost his hand in a freak accident where afterward his fiancee left him, and he blames his brother for it. This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie.


Ronny Cammareri: I ain't no freakin' monument to justice! I lost my hand! I lost my bride! Johnny has his hand! Johnny has his bride! You want me to take my heartache, put it away and forget?













Loretta and Ronny are drawn to each other instantly resulting in some of my favorite scenes and lines in a movie. I never get tired of watching Moonstruck. It's perfectly cast, and I like Cher and Nicholas Cage as the main characters. The scenes between these two are sweet, funny and dramatic.



Also part of the storyline is how Loretta's parents, Cosmo and Rose, are having issues. Rose knows Cosmo is keeping a mistress but she is patiently waiting for him to break it off. Loretta can almost relate to her father and his infidelity, because she herself is in love with her fiancees brother.









Another favorite scene is when Johnny comes to break off his engagement with Loretta, since he promised his dying mother he'd never get married. Loretta's response made me laugh so hard the first time I heard it, I was crying.

Johnny: In time you will see that this is the best thing.

Loretta Castorini: In time you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!








Moonstruck is a love story, and it's main point is that love isn't always perfect.



Ronny Cammareri: Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and *die*. The storybooks are *bullshit*. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and *get* in my bed!





Moonstruck was nominated for six Oscars at the 60th Academy Awards, winning three for Best Original Screenplay, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actress.

If you're in the mood for something funny, romantic and a little quirky, you might enjoy this one!










0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY