Monday, November 22, 2010



I thought this weeks WG was another interesting topic.
Antique Books



So this week, write a post sharing with us what old antique books you may have on your shelves, and tell us the story behind them. Did you inherit from a relative? Are you a collector of old and rare books? Did you just discover a certain book in a used book store and couldn't pass it up? What's the very oldest book you have? Do you even like old books? Or do they creep you out? Do you read and enjoy your old books, or is it more a "look and don't touch" thing?




I do have some old books on my shelves. I like old books, I feel like I can't get rid of them, they are special in a way. I don't mind reading old books, but it depends. If the copy is a collectable type book, I won't let anyone touch it...lol.



This is my copy of The Last of the Mohicans. This cover is the movie tie-in with Daniel Day-Lewis on it. I love the movie, have yet to read this book. I bought this back when the film was in theaters, I want to say back in 1992 when I was a Freshman in H.S. making this book about 19 years old!





Up next, my Star Trek Voyager books based on the tv series which I loved and watched religiously. I used to read these when my son was a baby around 1996, he's 14 now.











I bought this copy of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men when I was a senior in high school. I randomly picked it up at the store and read it in one day. This book is about 17 years old. It's hard to believe I've kept it all these years, through moving and having children and life in general. I should re-read it!



On the right is a copy of Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors. Its about an Uruguayan Rugby team whose plane crashed and to survive they had to resort to cannibalism. I haven't read this book but my stepfather gave it to me a few years ago. It looks like it's a library copy. The book itself is published in 1974, before I was born. And the price inside reads $10.00, this is a hardcover edition. Hardcovers now are three times as much.





Next I have a copy of Gone With the Wind I picked up at a library sale last year. It reads 'book club edition 1964' on the inside jacket.
It's in really good condition. I wish I knew how old this copy really is. When I saw the cover, I just had to have it. I paid one dollar for it. This is a 'look but don't touch' book.



This is the back cover:








These two books are about 22 years old, officially making these the oldest books I purchased myself. I bought them back in 1988 when I was 12. Well, my mom actually paid for them...lol.
I secretly subscribed myself to an all girls book club through the mail. I forged my moms name on the subscription sheet and circled 'bill me later'. Once the books started to arrive, my mom had a fit! She paid the bill and let me keep the books though.













Last but not least I have The Love Poems of John Donne, which I read cover to cover. This was the first book of poems I purchased.





I also have Hamlet here and Shakespeare in Love, the love poetry of William Shakepseare, a movie tie in. I bought these three books together around 1998 when the movie Shakespeare in Love came out. I love that movie and swooned over Joseph Fiennes playing a young Shakespeare *sigh*. I like this edition, the photos inside are really sweet and are shots from the film. This is definitely another 'look but don't touch' book.

These books aren't that old, maybe 13 years or so.



Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs.


Being purged a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes,


being vexe'd a sea nourished with lovers tears,


What is it else? A madness most discreet,


A choking gall and a perserving sweet.


-Romeo and Juliet





Thanks for looking at my old dusty books! What about you? Do you have very old copies of books on your shelves?








0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY