Tuesday, January 18, 2011



title: Lincoln's Yarns and Stories

authors: Abraham Lincoln & Alexander Mcclure

source: Daily Lit

genre: non fiction/history


rated: 3 1/2 stars out of 5









This 1901 collection of personal anecdotes and fables brings warmth and humanity to our image of Abraham Lincoln. Insightful and often humorous, these stories capture the essence of a man who has gone down in history as a great and heroic leader. Through these tales, many of which Lincoln loved to tell himself, we see a different, more accessible side of a legendary historical figure.




Abraham Lincoln has always been my favorite president. He served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865.




I have watched a few documentaries about Lincoln and never cease to be fascinated by him. I think his having endured a difficult childhood helped make him the man he became. He ended up suffering an unhappy marriage and having 4 sons, only to lose them all to illnesses. Lincoln suffered from depression himself. His wife wound up in a mental asylum.



The letters and speeches included in this collection are about everything from taxes and education. There's even one letter about courting a woman and another has advice for lawyers. Lincoln mostly discusses slavery. He brings up the Dred Scott decision repeatedly, which stated that people of African descent that were imported to the U.S. would never be citizens or be protected by the Constitution.




As a nation, we began by declaring that all men are created equal. We now practically read it, all men are created equal except negroes. When the Know-nothings get control, it will read, all men are created equal except negroes and foreigners and Catholics. When it comes to this, I shall prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty--to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.

-AUGUST 24, 1855




This was the type of read that I needed to get in small doses, which was what made it a perfect selection for a Daily Lit
read. It's not the type of book I'd be able to immerse myself in for a few days. I'd actually be a bit bored with it if I did that.




Lincoln's Yarns and Stories was an interesting read. I especially liked peeking at Lincoln's personal letters, the ones that were not related to politics and I wish there were more like those included in this collection.



I was happy to see the former president mention Shakespeare, and how he loved Macbeth.

AUGUST 17, 1863

Some of Shakespeare's plays I have never read; while others I have gone over perhaps as frequently as any unprofessional reader. Among the latter are Lear, Richard III., Henry VIII., Hamlet, and especially Macbeth. I think nothing equals Macbeth. It is wonderful.








Another letter that made me smile was one to his wife:

LETTER TO MRS. LINCOLN. WASHINGTON. AUGUST 8, 1863


My dear Wife, All as well as usual, and no particular trouble anyway. I put the money into the Treasury at five per cent., with the privilege of withdrawing it any time upon thirty days' notice. I suppose you are glad to learn this. Tell dear Tad poor "Nanny Goat" is lost, and Mrs. Cuthbert and I are in distress about it. The day you left Nanny was found resting herself and chewing her little cud on the middle of Tad's bed; but now she's gone! The gardener kept complaining that she destroyed the flowers, till it was concluded to bring her down to the White House. This was done, and the second day she had disappeared and has not been heard of since. This is the last we know of poor "Nanny."





This is not my usual type of read and I'm happy I ventured out a bit and learned something along the way. I enjoyed Lincoln's speeches, and see him even more now as a great man.










Here's are a few quotes from his many speeches:


For my part, I desire to see the time when education--and by its means morality, sobriety, enterprise, and industry--shall become much more general than at present; and should be gratified to have it in my power to contribute something to the advancement of any measure which might have a tendency to accelerate that happy period.


-MARCH 9, 1832







Let reverence for the laws be breathed by every American mother to the lisping babe that prattles on her lap. Let it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges. Let it be written in primers, spelling-books, and in almanacs.
Let it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice. And, in short, let it become the political religion of the nation.



-JANUARY 27, 1837









But we cannot be free men if this is, by our national choice, to be a land of slavery. Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under the rule of a just God, cannot long retain it.

-MAY 19, 1856


















0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY