Monday, April 6, 2009




Calling all Austen fans, I have just finished reading 'Pemberley Manor', my review will be up soon.
For now, I have a special treat, author Kathryn L. Nelson, has stopped by my blog to chat! Please welcome her:





Before I can think about writing a guest blog for the Bookworm, I need to say that your site is stunning. Poetry, art, music…so beautiful that I want to keep going back for another look. I truly do appreciate the opportunity to join your conversation.



Pemberley Manor was written in the wee hours of the morning after my jobs as parent and business owner were put to bed. I still look back fondly on those nights when I sat alone with some of my favorite characters and with Jane Austen’s own words. I read and reread her novels to try to catch the quality of her voice; I laughed out loud at her cheeky wit. And I shamelessly crawled inside the heads and hearts of the Bennets, the Bingleys, and the Darcys, imagining what their lives might have been like before and after the brief part that Miss Austen gave us.



Georgiana, so young and unfinished – if she came from the same stock as her brother, she must have had some opinions of her own to express. As to Elizabeth Bennet, she should have arrived at her wedding night with an understanding of certain character flaws that might give her some trouble in the future. And Darcy, well, could we really imagine that he would never again exhibit those troublesome behaviors that nearly cost him Elizabeth’s love? The newly-wed Darcys were brimming over with confidence and, I should think, relief, when they left the church. But would they not find all of that pent up passion troublesome?



Here’s Elizabeth, slightly nervous as they reach the inn where they will spend their wedding night:


“Well she knew that Fitzwilliam Darcy’s proud nature too closely matched her own. The difficulty of such a relationship was clear, but her thoughts were far from morose for her self-assurance and optimism had taught her that she was rather more than equal to a challenge.”



But what of her new husband?


Mr Darcy’s reflections were far less suited to the occasion, however, for the long silences of the afternoon coupled with his nervousness had precipitated a disturbing coldness in the pit of his stomach. He was acutely aware that there were parts of his life that he had not begun to share with Elizabeth. The honest and impassioned love he met in her eyes today urged him to open his heart without reservation and he longed to do so, but he could not imagine how to begin to unravel the layers of history that he had carefully avoided for so long; what effect such revelations might have on her feelings he did not wish to imagine.”



One of my favorite things about Jane Austen’s characters is that all are flawed, some stupendously so, and so they endear themselves to us. We can revel in their weaknesses and foibles if it is kindly – for the most part, at least – and humorously done. And nearly all have some shred of humanity that prevents us from writing them off completely. Would Caroline Bingley, for example, stay true to her snarky form, or was she capable of improvement? I spent a considerable amount of time on Miss Bingley in Pemberley Manor with the intent of redeeming her. I found it great fun, as it required her to be utterly humiliated to accomplish the task. Luckily, I left Lydia Bennet alone, because Jane Odiwe soon after produced a perfect explanation for that silly girl’s behavior in Lydia Bennet’s Story, complete with a redemption story of her own.



I left behind those few Austen characters whose company seemed beyond my power to enjoy. In their place I introduced a kindly gentleman, friend to old Mr Darcy, who filled in some of the mystery around Fitzwilliam Darcy’s guarded temperament. And Trevor Handley, a young man who had benefitted from the generosity of the elder Darcy, brings in a note of mystery and intrigue that catapults Elizabeth and Darcy, as well as Georgiana, into a chaotic chain of events that threatens their happiness.



Pemberley Manor is every ounce a tribute to the genius of Jane Austen. It makes no pretense to reach her level, but it is honestly and sincerely meant to honor the strength of her characters and the beauty of her language. I think she might be amused by the massive body of work that has sprung from her well. I certainly am.



Thanks again for having me as a guest. It would be fun to hear from Bookworm readers who were captivated by Jane Austen too. Or maybe some who weren’t?


---------------------------

Thank you for stopping by and chatting with us Kathryn. I really appreciate your taking the time out of your busy schedule to stop by. It's interesting hearing about how your novel came to be. I enjoyed reading it very much. I love all things Austen, and your book truly grabbed my attention. I think Darcy is perfection and I liked the story you wove above his past. I also enjoyed the scenes with Caroline Bingley, that is what i'd expect from her. This made me laugh out loud:

..the greater injury of losing her own hopes for an alliance with Mr.Darcy was sufficient to catapult her into an hysterical fury that had all but prevented her from attending the wedding.






And I really like the dialogue between Lizzy and Darcy, it was very much how i'd imagine they would act. Even the little things, like her teasing him about what he said when he first saw her at the ball, and him just kind of enjoying her humor and just 'rolling with it'. Also how thier friends and family were surprised to see such a change for the better in Darcy.



Thank you also for your kind words about my blog, I am flattered. Best of luck with your book and congratulations on your novel being on the bookstore shelves! That must be very exciting.

And to my readers, stay tuned, I will be posting my review of Kathryn's great book very soon!




Special thanks to Danielle L. Jackson over @ http://www.sourcebooks.com/ for this opportunity!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY