Sunday, April 19, 2009

Just Ella


title: Just Ella

author: Margaret Peterson Haddix

genre: fantasy/young adult

pages: 218

published: 1999

first line: The fire had gone out, and I didn't know what to do.

rated: 4 out of 5





Just Ella starts off where the classic fairytale Cinderella left off. Ella is living in Prince Charming's castle and the two will be married soon. She's glad to be away from her wicked stepmom and stepsisters, but she does feel lonely. Ella wonders does she truly love Prince Charm? Is this what she really wants?


I was cold. I was lonely. I was engaged to be married in two short months to the most handsome man I'd ever seen-the prince of the land, the heir to the throne. But I had never felt so alone in all my life, not even shivering in rags in my garret the day they came to say my father was dead.

This was happiness?




Being that she has spent the past few years since her fathers death living as a servant in her own home, Ella is being tutored on how to be a proper princess.




One day during her lesson, her tutor has a stroke and nearly dies. Thanks to Ella's quick thinking, he is saved. His son, Jed, comes to the castle to tutor Ella instead. Ella and Jed hit it off right away and the two become friends. Jed tells Ella about the fairytale everyone believes has been her life. Complete with a fairy godmother, singing mice and a magic slipper. This story both amuses and irritates Ella. She is moved to tell Jed her true story, one that does not involve magic.



As time passes, Ella evaluates her true feelings. She simply wants to be free, to be her own person and live her own life.


If I'd learned nothing else from my life thus far, it was that you don't always end up where you think you're going.




This was a fun, light read. I think most girls can relate to Ella's character. She's smart, funny and independant. She doesn't wait for her Prince Charming to come and rescue her, she can take care of herself.



special thanks to serena for gifting me a copy of this fun book :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY