Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Queen's Pawn





title: The Queen's Pawn


author: Christy English

published: 2010

pages: 378

first line: My mother died the day I was born.

rated: 4 out of 5 stars




Looking into my father's face I saw that he believed what he said. When life was dark and the road of duty and honor was rocky and long, I remembered my father's face on that day. I remembered how he loved me and how he was a man good enough to see beyond the evils of this world into a certain paradise.






Set during the Middle Ages in England, The Queen's Pawn is the story of Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine and Princess Alais of France, and the love and betrayal that occurs between these two women.


An arranged marriage has been planned for Princess Alais and Prince Richard, also known as Richard the Lionheart. Richard is the son of King Henry II and Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine.



When Eleanor and Alais first meet, the two are drawn to each other and Eleanor thinks of Alais as a daughter right away. They form a mother/daughter type relationship, Eleanor teaching Alais everything she knows, and Alais looking up to the queen.


However, once Eleanor she sees how her son Richard reacts after meeting the princess, she can't help but be jealous. Richard shows emotion and lust for Alais, and sings love songs to her at court. Eleanor wants to figure out how to make sure the two of them love her more than they love one another.


I saw his loneliness then, and it called to the loneliness within me. Just as I had been alone all my life, sent to marry among my father's enemies to serve the throne of France, so had Richard been alone, except when his mother was with him. He too, served as I did. He worked always for the good of Eleanor, placing her needs and the needs of the duchy of Aquitaine above his own.








These two women have a strong bond, and you see it plainly throughout the book. Eleanor strives to teach Alais, to make her into a strong woman who thinks with her head, and not with her heart.



When I curtsied and bid her good night, Eleanor drew me close. "Lead men a merry chase," she said, "but never let them catch you."


"Not until the wedding night," I said, speaking low, so that others would not hear me over the music.


Eleanor smiled her wicked smile, and let go of my hand. "No, Alais. Not even then."




Once King Henry arrives at court, he sees Alais and is smitten with her.
Henry is used to taking lovers whenever he pleases and he becomes jealous of his own son, wanting Alais for himself. He even announces to Richard that he will never give Alais over to him for marriage. Eleanor is used to Henry's infidelities, and hasn't allowed him in her bed for many years.






Alais being well trained in how to behave at court and with royalty, plays it smoothly, always knowing just how to act and what to say to the king. This does not go unnoticed by Eleanor. As events unfold, this is where the story begins to take its turn. These two women who were once like mother and daughter, now begin to have a rivalry.



She met my eyes across the crowded hall. Everyone was pretending that they had not seen the exchange between her and the king, as if they were not speculating whether he would make her his mistress, and when.






I really enjoyed reading The Queen's Pawn. I was drawn in from page one, and I love a good scandal. The storyline was interesting, the characters were well developed and the setting was really well written. Christy English takes the reader to the Middle Ages in England. I always enjoy when an author takes fact and weaves it in with fiction.

This was my first time reading about Eleanor of Aquitaine and Alais of France, and I liked the dynamics of their relationship. There is betrayal between these two ladies, but also forgiveness. Eleanor is a complex character, it seemed she was always plotting and planning, but she did it for her survival.
She knew how to live and thrive in a man's world. Alais betrays Eleanor, yet loves her no matter what happens. Alais being young and naive, wants to believe in Henry and in his love for her. "Revenge was not the tonic I had hoped it would be."




This is the type of read you cozy up with and just kind of live within the pages for a few days. There's drama, heartache, romance and a good dose of scandal. Highly recommended, especially to fans of historical fiction.



Alais set her dog down and came into my arms as sweetly as she ever had, as if she had never cast a lustful eye at my husband, as if she had never threatened to take my favorite son from me. I had no god to pray to, but I prayed anyway. I begged a god I knew did not exist to shield this girl in the days to come, to harbor her, even from me.








Special thanks to Christy English for sending me a signed copy of The Queen's Pawn. Click here for my interview with the author.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY