Thursday, June 17, 2010

Robert Frank.


I've always been more attracted to black and white photographs, in comparison to coloured ones. I don't know why.. anyways, I stumbled upon 'Robert Frank' when I was looking at pictures on Tumblr. He is a famous Swedish photographer, his fame rose in the 50s, in America first and then worldwide. 
I have been amazed by his work for hours now, he snapped pictures perfectly, of my favourite era especially. I've never been one to adore photography, a photo to me is to capture memories. 
Only the odd time do I come across a photographer or photograph that makes me think deeper into the picture before me. One thing I love about Frank's work, is that the photo's look natural. Nobody is too 'posey' and nothing looks too unrealistic. He captures the emotions of people to a T, he captures the all-round feeling of the moment. The photographs make you think, you take a first glimpse and always take another look, as something or someone, has caught your eye. He seems to have an eye for unusual moments. Flicking through his photo's I came across scenes of confusion, The Rolling Stones, childhood and war. He doesn't just focus on one theme, as I find a lot of photographers do. He takes photography to a whole new level. As Frank said himself ''When people look at my pictures I want them to feel the way they do when they want to read a line of a poem twice.''
My favourite photo is this one below, at first you see 2 women sunbathing, then a child in the backround waving the American flag.. but then the headline on the newspaper the woman on the right reads, is 'Marilyn Dead'. Of course meaning Marilyn Monroe. This picture may have been captured the morning after Monroe died. It shocked the world of course, the tragic death of the Hollywood Starlet (one of my idols since I was a child). My Nana remembers the 6th of August '62 well, the morning after Marilyn was found dead in her bedroom. My Nana was getting the bus into work and heard the women on the bus talking about it, my Nana said about 10 women, and herself, talked for the whole journey about Miss. Monroe. My Nana was always a fan, but more-so of Audrey Hepburn. Anyways, I like this photograph.. it captures the moment perfectly. 
I've saved about 40 of his pictures, and I don't want to take up the whole page of my blog with them, so I've narrowed it down to the ones that really popped out for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY