Wednesday, August 27, 2008


title:
Considering Someplacelse




author: B. L. Lindstrom



pages: 327


genre: fiction


published: 2008


first line: Want some meaningful work?



rated: confused






At the turn of this century, a homeless man was allowed to win the lottery. It was hoped that he would change the world for the better, forever.
After 12 years, SomeplacElse, his divinely inspired utopian experiment in the sub-urban Arizona desert, has reached critical mass.
As Fate would have it, over the next five days the stories of a chronically underemployed baby boomer and a soon-to-be-governor, playboy millionaire will determine the future of this earthly Eden







Norm Larson has been out of work for several months. One day he checks out ConsiderSE.com, which was hiring, and fills out a job application. It all sounds to good to be true, but he figures he'll give it a try. Shortly after, he receives a phone call and an interview date. A limo comes to pick him up at home and take him to where 'SomeplacElse' is located. Once there, Norm is given the tour and introduced to a few employees and shown how it all works.





'As I walked down the front stairs I forced Considering SomeplacElse into new age religious status, dismissing it as some no wage job working for Jesus while waiting for the mother ship. I wondered why I couldn't find a real job. I wondered what character flaw or flaws in my make up prevented me from working or perhaps caused me to lost my job in the first place.'



They tell Norm that once hired he will received a salary $20 thousand per year, but get free healthcare benefits, free housing and food and free transportation. All he needs to do is work and live at SomeplacElse if he chooses. SomeplacElse also pays off his debts with an interest-free loan that he can repay over the course of his employment.


He meets Mike, the founder of SomeplacElse. It turns out Mike is suffering from Alzheimer's and needs someone to replace him. He offers the job, 'SomeplacElse Advocate', to Norm. So Norm is asked to be the new 'leader' of this place.








"In a nut shell, SomeplacElse is seeking to create an ecologically sound, self sustaining utopian environment. Providing guaranteed life long, meaningful employment, complete cradle to grave health care, continuous education and a safe but thriving private living community for those who wish to live here."




There's also the politician, Adam Wainwright, who wants to get rid of
'SomeplacElse' once he's elected governor. Wainwright backs up a company called Clamptron, that has been accused of illegally dumping toxic wastes into the environment.



Now, this is when Wainwright came into the story, and it really went downhill from there. He's racist, sexist and obnoxious. All rolled into one. *oh joy* And after skimming a few pages, because I knew I could no longer continue to read this, I saw that Wainwright winds up in bed with a few women one day, including his girlfriend, and that was quite enough for me. It was really ridiculous. Why on earth his having an orgy with these women needed to be a part of this story, is beyond me. And even worse is that these women end up wrestling and fighting each other, in the nude of course, while this dude watches and laughs. Then they clean him up and give him a shower. Why???






I received a copy of Considering Someplacelse to read and review. And I really hate to give a negative review. But I cannot say I liked a book, when I clearly did not. I feel like my blog readers take my word for it when I recommend a book and give a good review.




The book 'Considering Someplacelse' sounded interesting enough at first, but once I started reading, I didn't really enjoy it at all. The author's style of writing just wasn't descriptive enough for me. It was filled with too much dialogue. I felt like I was just reading a few peoples very long conversations. The characters were not well-developed. I'm sorry to say, the idea of a society like 'SomeplacElse', sounds very 'cult-like' to me. The storyline didn't really make any sense to me. Someone else may enjoy it, but I did not.

I didn't finish reading it.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY