Thursday, November 6, 2008

title: Grit for the Oyster: 250 Pearls of Wisdom for Aspiring Writers

authors: Suzanne Woods Fisher, Debora M. Coty, Faith Tibbetts McDonald Joanna Bloss


pages: 260

genre: self help/inspirational

published: 2008

rated: 4 out of 5





This unique, confidence-building devotional draws readers to a closer relationship with God while offering pitchy practical guidance from highly successful inspirational writers like Terri Blackstock, Phil Callaway, Liz Curtis Higgs, Dr. Gary Chapman, James Scott Bell, and many others.





Grit for the Oyster is a self help book for aspiring writers. When I first began reading this one, I was kind of skeptical. I don't usually read self-help books. So I kind of wondered if I would enjoy it, if this book would be interesting and if it would hold my attention. And the answer to that is 'Yes'. This is a great little book. It made me smile, and it also made me ponder a few things.

After each chapter, there is a Relection, a Prayer and Pearls of Wisdom all relating to the chapter. It does quote the bible alot and there's bible references throughout.

The authors each take turns talking about writing and giving advice to writers.
Then there's quotes from other writers as well.


One chapter is titled 'Cyber Sabbath'. I found it very insightful. It's a chapter about how easily we can neglect our children while we spend time online.



That's when I knew something had to change. I needed a Cyber Sabbath: A full day each week to unplug the computer and fully focus on the faces before me. No writing assignments. Not even one Google. Just rest from the cyber world in the same way God took a rest after creating our world.

How could I accomplish the seemingly impossible feet? Planning is the key. I found that it doesn't necessarily have to be on a Sunday, but it should be a day that corresponds with the needs and availability of my family. Each Monday, I study my calendar of scheduled events and earmark my Cyber Sabbath for that week.


And unlike your kids, its a sure bet your computer will be there when you get back.


Grit for the Oyster is a great book. I do recommend it, especially for writers. It's got some great advice to offer.







We, too, have a world around us that is waiting to be noticed. Look for inspiration in the places in which God puts you. Ordinary places. Ordinary people.

Develop eyes and ears to see and hear life on a deeper level. Once you begin you'll be amazed at the sources of inspiration you'll encounter.






Special thanks to Dorothy over @ Pump Up Your Book Promotion






0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY