Sunday, November 9, 2008

Literary Crushes

Fyrefly posted about literary crushes and I thought that was a fun idea.

She posts: After reading Austenland, in which the main character is hampered in her real-life relationships because of her infatuation with Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, I got thinking about my own character crushes.


Unlike the heroine of Austenland, none of these have become crippling obsessions for me, or interfered with my real-life relationships. They’re just crushes, and yes, I’m totally aware they’re fictional. Still, if I were able to crawl inside books, all of these guys would totally be my boyfriend.








Here's my own literary crushes:



Captain Wentworth from Jane Austen's Persuasion

This man can write a love letter like nobody's business. Here's an excerpt:

I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant.


*sigh* You pierce my soul is one of my favorite lines in a book ever.


-------------------------





Rhett Butler from Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind

Rhett is tall, dark and handsome and rich. He's got a way with the ladies, drinks scotch and smokes cigars. He's also a bootlegger. He's just a bad ass. And he's got the best line in a movie/book ever: 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn'.

But I also like it when he says:

I'm not asking you to forgive me. I'll never understand or forgive myself. And if a bullet gets me, so help me, I'll laugh at myself for being an idiot. There's one thing I do know... and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. Bad lots, both of us.





-------------------------




Remus Lupin from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

He's a tortured werewolf, and a professor at Hogwarts. Poor Remus. As soon as he came into the series in the 3rd book, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, he quickly became one of my favorite characters.

My transformations in those days were -- were terrible. It is very painful to turn into a werewolf. I was separated from humans to bite, so I bit and scratched myself instead. The villagers heard the noise and the screaming and thought they were hearing particularly violent spirits




-------------------------





Edward Cullen from Stephenie Meyer's Twilight. The guy is a gorgeous, rich vampire.
Enough said! And I think Edward is the vamp version of Mr.Darcy.


He walked me to my next class in silence and paused at the door; I turned to say goodbye. His face startled me-his expression was torn, almost pained, and so fiercely beautiful that the ache to touch him flared as strong as before. My goodbye was stuck in my throat.

He raised his hand, hesitant, conflict raging in his eyes, and then swiftly brushed the length of my cheekbone with his fingertips. His skin was icy as ever, but the trail his fingers left on my skin was alarmingly warm-like I'd been burned but didn't feel the pain of it yet.

He turned without a word and strode quickly away from me.



-------------------------






Vampire Louis from Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire

He's the beautiful, sad, tortured vamp. Louis is torn between hating his existence and the indulging in the need to drink blood.

My vampire nature for me has been the greatest adventure of my life; all that went before it was confused, clouded; I went through mortal life like a blind man groping from solid object to solid object. It was only when I became a vampire that I respected for the first time all of life. I never saw a living, pulsing human being until I was a vampire; I never knew what life was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!




-------------------------






Mr.Darcy from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. He's the strong, brooding, silent type. And he say's things like:

If you will thank me,'' he replied, ``let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you might add force to the other inducements which led me on, I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe I thought only of you.







Who are your literary crushes?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY